You know it's supposed to mean more bang for your buck, but for some, the term "refurbished" stirs up more questions than confidence: "Am I buying someone's hand-me-down computer with a few new parts thrown in?" "Will the software on my remanufactured desktop be out-of-date?" "Are the ink cartridges of a refurbished printer less than full?"
Fortunately, these and other common questions about remanufactured products are easily answered, allowing you to make the smartest buy for your technology needs. In this article, we'll discuss what refurbished products really are, where they come from, how to buy them, and why refurbished is sometimes the best choice.
What is "refurbished"?
At BUDGET PC, a refurbished solution is offered on just about all product lines: printers, notebooks, desktops, servers, and more. They are products that have been returned to BUDGET PC for a variety of reasons and then put through a rigorous re-manufacturing process.
Where do refurbished products come from?
BUDGET PC refurbished products can originate from a variety of sources, including major organisation, education facilities and government associates. Depending on the product line, most refurbished equipment starts to show up in BUDGET PC's remarketed inventory pool about 3-18 months after their introduction date. For instance, a desktop model that was originally entered the market over 12 months ago may be considered obsolete and not worth the cost to remanufacture, while a server could still provide a lot of value and ample performance 18 months after its initial launch.
How is a product remanufactured?
Every BUDGET PC refurbished product is restored by BUDGET PC to its original condition and performance. Each item is thoroughly tested, broken or defective parts are replaced, and then test results are re-verified.
All BUDGET PC refurbished products are upgraded to meet current performance specifications. For example: ink cartridges in refurbished business printers are replaced with “full new” cartridges; and the latest software patches are added to computers..
When is refurbished better?
If your IT budget is lean, then BUDGET PC refurbished business products offer high-quality, warrantied product at a low cost. For some applications, the latest generation of technology is better suited. In other cases, a remanufactured product may be a better fit. For example:
- Some business applications don't require the latest performance.
- If your company has standardized on a certain platform and "new" production on that platform has been discontinued.
- Refurbished equipment may offer the best price/performance ratio.
- Software testing may be performed just as effectively using refurbished products as with new.
- A new, popular product that is out of stock may be available in the remarketed pool due to a return or cancelled order.
What should I look for when I buy refurbished?
There are a number of things to keep in mind when you buy a refurbished business product. Here are a few tips:
- Check the warranty – Most our refurbished products come with 3 month return to base warranty. Some of the products may has the original manufacturer’ warranty.
- Ask about return policies - If for any reason, you are unsatisfied with your refurbished product, the BUDGET PC business outlet provides a return policy.
- Act now - BUDGET PC refurbished product inventory turns over quickly and the tried and true workhorses go first. Unlike new, if you miss out on a product you want, re-stocking or back-ordering is not an option.